Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Ubisoft apologizes for recent controversies ahead of Ubisoft Forward event

Add as a preferred source on Google

Ahead of today’s Ubisoft Forward stream, the gaming company released a video discussing its recent controversies and its plans to address them.

In the four-minute video, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot apologizes for the recent string of sexual harassment allegations against multiple Ubisoft employees. Several high-ranking employees left the company in light of the allegations, including the studio’s vice president, Tommy François, and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla director Ashraf Ismail.

Recommended Videos

Ahead of #UbiForward, a message from our CEO Yves Guillemot: pic.twitter.com/NDfOj4tFk7

— Ubisoft (@Ubisoft) September 10, 2020

“This summer, we learned that certain Ubisoft employees did not uphold our company’s values and that our system failed to protect the victims of their behaviors. I am truly sorry for everyone who was hurt. We have taken significant steps to remove or sanction those who violated our values and code of conduct,” Guillemot said.

The claim that Ubisoft became aware of its sexual harassment issues this summer conflicts with recent reporting on the studio. Former and current Ubisoft employees say they’ve filed multiple claims over the years, many of which were “ignored, mishandled, or undermined,” according to a Bloomberg report.

Guillemot pledged to increase diversity within the company and said Ubisoft will invest $1 million over the next five years into its graduate program, with a focus on “creating opportunities for underrepresented groups.” The Ubisoft Graduate Program recruits recent graduates for a two-year program where they work at the studio. Members of the program may receive a full contract at the studio once the two years are up.

In addition to addressing its sexual harassment problem, Guillemot apologized for a recent controversy in Tom Clancy’s Elite Squad. The mobile game used raised fist imagery, associated with Black Lives Matter and the Civil Rights movement, to represent a terrorist organization.

Guillemot reaffirmed Ubisoft’s support for Black Lives Matter and said the studio will donate to the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund.

Ubisoft previously vocalized support for the movement following the murder of George Floyd in June. The studio postponed game announcements amid protests and donated $100,000 to the NAACP and Black Lives Matter. The Tom Clancy’s Elite Squad controversy occurred a few months later, prompting Ubisoft to apologize and remove the raised fist symbol from the game.

Giovanni Colantonio
As a veteran of the industry who first began writing about games professionally as a teenager, Giovanni brings a wealth of…
Samsung’s first 6K gaming monitor is here to humble your GPU
Odyssey G80HS offers 6K at 165Hz and 3K at 330Hz
Samsung Gaming monitor

Have you ever looked at your high-end gaming PC and thought, “This GPU could use a little character development”? Well, if you have, Samsung is here to deliver the pain and suffering with its newly launched 32-inch Odyssey G8, the company’s first 6K gaming display.

Samsung has announced the global availability of its new Odyssey gaming monitors and ViewFinity S8 lineup, but the 32-inch Odyssey G8, also known as the G80HS, is the one that will probably raise eyebrows among PC builders. Samsung says the G80HS is the industry’s first 6K gaming monitor, and that alone tells you this is not meant for an ordinary desk setup.

Read more
Sony apparently thinks the best fix for slow PS5 sales is… another PlayStation
Your next PlayStation upgrade might arrive earlier than expected
Sony PS5 Pro Shot with Blue Light

Rumors surrounding Sony’s next-generation PlayStation console are heating up again, with fresh speculation focusing on the PS6’s launch timeline and hardware specifications. While some analysts believe the next PlayStation may not arrive until 2028 or later, insider Moore’s Law Is Dead (MLID) argues that Sony cannot afford to delay the console any further - even as PS5 sales begin slowing down.

The latest discussion also revolves around concerns over memory costs. According to earlier claims from hardware leaker KeplerL2, Sony may consider reducing the PS6’s memory configuration to keep prices under control. The rumored change would reportedly lower the console’s GDDR7 VRAM from 30GB to 24GB while also shifting from a 160-bit memory bus to a slower 128-bit configuration.

Read more
PlayStation State of Play returns June 2 with Marvel’s Wolverine leading the lineup
Sony confirms over 60 minutes of PS5 game reveals and announcements
State of Play Tuesday, June 2 NEW

The Summer Game Fest season is officially kicking off now, and Sony clearly does not want to sit quietly on the sidelines this year. The company has officially confirmed that the next PlayStation State of Play showcase will air on June 2, featuring more than 60 minutes of PS5 game announcements and updates. The biggest confirmed highlight so far is Marvel’s Wolverine, which Sony says will receive a fresh new look during the presentation.

Sony confirms Wolverine showcase for June 2 State of Play

Read more