Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. Legacy Archives

Former top Ubisoft creative Patrice Desilets starts work at THQ Montreal

Add as a preferred source on Google
assassins-creed
Image used with permission by copyright holder

If you consider yourself a serious gamer, then chances are you know the name Patrice Desilets. The former Ubisoft employee was the creative director on Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time as well as the first two Assassin’s Creed games. He left the company last summer and was soon after scooped up by THQ, though a non-compete clause in his Ubi departure kept him on the sidelines until a full year had lapsed. That date passed on June 14, and THQ has confirmed that Desilets is officially on the job and working at the publisher’s Montreal studio.

“The creative freedom that THQ gives its artists and developers — and their willingness to make games that truly reflect an artistic vision — really drew me to THQ,” Desilets said in a statement (via Gamasutra. “I plan to build an incredibly talented team at THQ, and am very anxious to get started on creating a new project.”

Recommended Videos

Desilets’ team has already started coming together, with three former Ubi employees following his lead and taking on roles at THQ. He’ll have to look elsewhere for more talent though, as Gamasutra notes that his former employer won an injunction against THQ in March that prevents the publisher from hiring any other Ubisoft talent.

THQ is a publisher known for having great direction at the top, thanks largely to its Core Games division boss Danny Bilson, and a strong overriding creative vision. Healthy franchises like Saint’s Row, Warhammer 40K and Red Faction were almost certainly what lured Desilets over, and Homefront presents him with a big opportunity. The expertly marketed first-person shooter hit stores in March with a strong launch, but it almost immediately fell flat with critics and gamers. The recent closure of Homefront dev Kaos Studios is very likely a direct result of the game’s poor performance.

Word came alongside the closure announcement that future Homefront work would be picked up by THQ Montreal. Which is also where Desilets starts work this week. Coincidence? Not likely, folks. He may be anxious to “get started on creating a new project,” but there’s still a lot of potential in Homefront. Here’s hoping Desilets can apply the same sort of magic that led to his smashingly successful 3D reinvention of the Prince of Persia series back in 2003. At base, it’s encouraging to hear that the franchise will be in good hands.

Adam Rosenberg
Former Gaming/Movies Editor
Previously, Adam worked in the games press as a freelance writer and critic for a range of outlets, including Digital Trends…
GeForce Now just got Forza Horizon 6 and Disco Elysium’s weird new cousin
Nvidia just added the hottest racing game and Disco Elysium’s spiritual successor to GeForce Now
Forza

GeForce Now is having a pretty good week if you have a very diverse palette for games. From next-gen visuals in racing to a narrative-driven RPG, Nvidia has a great set of games for you to try out. The company's latest cloud gaming update brings Forza Horizon 6 alongside Zero Parades: For Dead Spies, the new RPG from ZA/UM, the studio behind the critically acclaimed Disco Elysium.

Forza Horizon 6 hits GeForce Now

Read more
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more
Ubisoft wants a comeback with Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and one AI experiment that has players worried
Ubisoft’s first playable gen-AI project is coming, and gamers are already skeptical
Ubisoft Vantage Studios Games

Ubisoft is trying to rebuild momentum. It is banking on its biggest franchises for this comeback, as revealed in its latest earnings report. But the French publisher/studio isn't just relying on the familiar names and is even bringing generative AI as the next experience.

According to Ubisoft’s FY2025-26 earnings report, the company expects a much stronger content pipeline across FY2027-28 and FY2028-29, with releases tied to major brands including Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Ghost Recon.

Read more