Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. Legacy Archives

Take-Two to Go It Alone

Add as a preferred source on Google
Take-Two to Go It Alone
Image used with permission by copyright holder

Earlier this year, über game publisher Electronic Arts made an unsolicited bid to take over Take-Two Interactive…just before it’s massively anticipated Grand Theft Auto IV was due to launch. Take-Two maintained that the offer wasn’t high enough, and despite EA extending the deadline Take-Two investors could take its cash (again, and again), after six months—and long after the GTA IV launch—EA finally walked away from its takeover dreams. At the time, Take-Two said it was still considering its options, and didn’t rule out a merger or partnership with EA…under the right terms.

Well, now Take-Two is done considering its options, and the company has decided to remain independent. Take-Two’s executives and board feels the best way they can make money—and deliver value to their shareholders—is to keep doing what they’ve been doing: develop and publish games independently and build its portfolio of game titles and franchises.

Recommended Videos

“We are strongly positioned creatively, financially, and competitively to benefit from the opportunities we see in the fastest growing segment of the entertainment industry,” said Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick in a statement. “Our management and outstanding and talented employees have maintained an unwavering focus on our products and our business through this lengthy strategic review process and we are confident in our prospects.”

Take-Two says it has no debt and $140 million in credit it can tap into, and plans to expand over a dozen wholly-owned brands in addition to the monster Grand Theft Auto franchise and the up-and-coming BioShock, which is currently prepping a sequel and getting ready for the Hollywood movie treatment.

Geoff Duncan
Former Contributor
Geoff Duncan writes, programs, edits, plays music, and delights in making software misbehave. He's probably the only member…
Samsung’s first 6K gaming monitor is here to humble your GPU
Odyssey G80HS offers 6K at 165Hz and 3K at 330Hz
Samsung Gaming monitor

Have you ever looked at your high-end gaming PC and thought, “This GPU could use a little character development”? Well, if you have, Samsung is here to deliver the pain and suffering with its newly launched 32-inch Odyssey G8, the company’s first 6K gaming display.

Samsung has announced the global availability of its new Odyssey gaming monitors and ViewFinity S8 lineup, but the 32-inch Odyssey G8, also known as the G80HS, is the one that will probably raise eyebrows among PC builders. Samsung says the G80HS is the industry’s first 6K gaming monitor, and that alone tells you this is not meant for an ordinary desk setup.

Read more
Sony apparently thinks the best fix for slow PS5 sales is… another PlayStation
Your next PlayStation upgrade might arrive earlier than expected
Sony PS5 Pro Shot with Blue Light

Rumors surrounding Sony’s next-generation PlayStation console are heating up again, with fresh speculation focusing on the PS6’s launch timeline and hardware specifications. While some analysts believe the next PlayStation may not arrive until 2028 or later, insider Moore’s Law Is Dead (MLID) argues that Sony cannot afford to delay the console any further - even as PS5 sales begin slowing down.

The latest discussion also revolves around concerns over memory costs. According to earlier claims from hardware leaker KeplerL2, Sony may consider reducing the PS6’s memory configuration to keep prices under control. The rumored change would reportedly lower the console’s GDDR7 VRAM from 30GB to 24GB while also shifting from a 160-bit memory bus to a slower 128-bit configuration.

Read more
PlayStation State of Play returns June 2 with Marvel’s Wolverine leading the lineup
Sony confirms over 60 minutes of PS5 game reveals and announcements
State of Play Tuesday, June 2 NEW

The Summer Game Fest season is officially kicking off now, and Sony clearly does not want to sit quietly on the sidelines this year. The company has officially confirmed that the next PlayStation State of Play showcase will air on June 2, featuring more than 60 minutes of PS5 game announcements and updates. The biggest confirmed highlight so far is Marvel’s Wolverine, which Sony says will receive a fresh new look during the presentation.

Sony confirms Wolverine showcase for June 2 State of Play

Read more