Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Epic Games’ apps are officially off the Apple App Store

Add as a preferred source on Google
 

Apple has pushed through with the termination of Epic Games’ developer account on its App Store, removing its apps from the digital storefront.

Recommended Videos

The legal dispute between Apple and Epic Games has further escalated after popular battle royale shooter Fortnite was taken down from the App Store.

Apple said that it will remove Epic’s account, which will affect all of the developer’s other iOS games and will also prevent it from rolling out updates to players who have previously downloaded the apps.

“We are disappointed that we have had to terminate the Epic Games account on the App Store,” Apple said in a statement to Digital Trends, adding that Epic has refused to follow the court’s recommendation to comply with the App Store’s rules, and has instead repeatedly submitted Fortnite updates that violate the guidelines.

“This is not fair to all other developers on the App Store and is putting customers in the middle of their fight. We hope that we can work together again in the future, but unfortunately, that is not possible today,” the statement said.

Digital Trends has also reached out to Epic Games for comments, and we will update this article as soon as we hear back.

Apple vs. Epic Games, explained

The Apple-Epic Games feud started when Epic attempted to bypass the 30% commission that Apple collects from in-app transactions in Fortnite by offering a feature that allows players to make purchases directly from the developer at a discount.

Apple responded by removing Fortnite from the App Store, and the Google Play Store followed suit.

Apple told Epic that it will terminate its developer accounts and cut it off from iOS and Mac development tools on August 28. Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers, however, granted Epic a partial restraining order that will allow it to continue working on its Unreal Engine gaming platform, but it did not cover the return of Fortnite to the App Store.

The next hearing in the legal dispute between Apple and Epic is scheduled for September 28.

Aaron Mamiit
Aaron received an NES and a copy of Super Mario Bros. for Christmas when he was four years old, and he has been fascinated…
Fortnite is back on the App Store worldwide as Epic and Apple’s battle enters its final phase
Fortnite finally respawned on the App Store
Fortnite

After years of legal battles, platform bans, and public clashes over app store fees, Fortnite is officially returning to Apple’s App Store worldwide. Epic Games announced the move on Monday, calling it part of the “final battle” in its long-running fight against Apple’s App Store policies.

The return marks one of the biggest reversals in modern app store history. Fortnite was originally removed from Apple’s App Store in 2023 after Epic Games introduced its own payment system inside the app to bypass Apple’s commission fees, which can reach up to 30 percent. That decision triggered a years-long legal conflict that quickly became one of the most important antitrust battles in the tech industry.

Read more
PlayStation Plus is getting more expensive right before everyone comes back
PlayStation Plus costs more now if you don’t lock in for a year
PlayStation Plus

Sony is raising PlayStation Plus prices for new customers from May 20, adding another cost increase to an already pricey console generation. The change applies in select regions and affects the shorter subscription options.

According to PlayStation’s official post, one-month plans will start at $10.99, €9.99, or £7.99, while three-month plans will start at $27.99, €27.99, or £21.99. Current subscribers are mostly protected for now. Sony says the new pricing will not apply to existing members unless they change their plan or allow the subscription to lapse. However, subscribers in Turkey and India may also see the change.

Read more
Sony no longer wants “PlayStation exclusive” games to get a PC launch
Reports suggest future first-party single-player titles may skip Steam releases entirely.
Ghost of Yotei official screenshot

Over the last few years, Sony gradually got PC gamers used to the idea that most major PlayStation exclusives would eventually land on Steam. Games like God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us all made the jump sooner or later. But earlier this year, reports suggested that Sony was planning to stop releasing future single-player PlayStation titles on PC and keep them locked to PS5 instead. Now, it looks like those fears are finally becoming reality.

Sony reportedly wants PlayStation exclusives to stay exclusive again

Read more