Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

‘Starcraft’ is now free for all, following first patch in eight years

Add as a preferred source on Google

Blizzard has released the original version of Starcraft and its expansion, Brood War, free to all on both PC and Mac platforms. They’ve been made available alongside the first patch for the ’90s strategy title in eight years, bringing a number of bug fixes and improvements in version 1.18.

We first learned that Starcraft and Brood War were set to be made freely available when Blizzard announced the remastered edition of the original game. While we were also told that a new patch was incoming, it was never made clear what large improvements Blizzard had planned for the near 20-year-old title.

Recommended Videos

If you want to download the game for the PC or Mac, you can find the links in the official Starcraft update post. There you can also read through the impressively long changelog for the game and its expansion.

Much of the patch is focused on improving compatibility with modern operating systems and adding features that are much more commonplace in contemporary gaming. It adds support for windowed full-screen mode, as well as windowed mode and the easy ability to switch between the two.

A new Observer mode is now present in the game, as well as the option to display actions per minute to help benchmark how fast you’re playing. Popular maps can now be seen during matchmaking, making it easier to find specific games or game types.

Blizzard has also updated the OpenGL backend support and improved gameplay responsiveness during multiplayer. The UI layout in Battle.net sections has been updated as well and there are new anti-cheat capabilities.

As impressive as all the new features are though, Blizzard has also fixed some bugs with the game that have been present for years. The well-known ’80s Kerrigan face’ loading screen and a few other graphical glitches have now been fixed, along with a few problems with LAN game discovery.

The unavailability of game profiles is the only “known issue,” that Blizzard continues to work on, and is perhaps something we can expect to see fixed in a future v 1.19 update.

Jon Martindale
Jon Martindale covers how to guides, best-of lists, and explainers to help everyone understand the hottest new hardware and…
PlayStation Plus is getting more expensive right before everyone comes back
PlayStation Plus costs more now if you don’t lock in for a year
PlayStation Plus

Sony is raising PlayStation Plus prices for new customers from May 20, adding another cost increase to an already pricey console generation. The change applies in select regions and affects the shorter subscription options.

According to PlayStation’s official post, one-month plans will start at $10.99, €9.99, or £7.99, while three-month plans will start at $27.99, €27.99, or £21.99. Current subscribers are mostly protected for now. Sony says the new pricing will not apply to existing members unless they change their plan or allow the subscription to lapse. However, subscribers in Turkey and India may also see the change.

Read more
Sony no longer wants “PlayStation exclusive” games to get a PC launch
Reports suggest future first-party single-player titles may skip Steam releases entirely.
Ghost of Yotei official screenshot

Over the last few years, Sony gradually got PC gamers used to the idea that most major PlayStation exclusives would eventually land on Steam. Games like God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us all made the jump sooner or later. But earlier this year, reports suggested that Sony was planning to stop releasing future single-player PlayStation titles on PC and keep them locked to PS5 instead. Now, it looks like those fears are finally becoming reality.

Sony reportedly wants PlayStation exclusives to stay exclusive again

Read more
Valve’s Steam Controller just got a lot more useful outside Steam
The Steam Controller’s biggest problem may already be getting fixed
Two Steam Controllers in use with the Steam Deck

Valve’s new Steam Controller has had a pretty good start. Early reactions have been positive, and the $99 controller sold out quickly after launch.

That demand also brought scalpers, who started listing the controller at inflated prices. Valve has since introduced a reservation queue to give real buyers a better shot at future stock. Still, one complaint kept coming up. For many players, the Steam Controller was simply too locked into Steam.

Read more