Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. Audio / Video
  4. Entertainment
  5. Legacy Archives

Marvel brings Daredevil, Luke Cage and more to Netflix in four TV shows and a mini-series

Add as a preferred source on Google

Marvel TV and Netflix have officially partnered up with a plan set to bring a staggering amount of exclusive content to the video streaming service in 2015. The terms of the deal include a “minimum” of four 13-episode series,” led by Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage, and culminating in a mini-series, The DefendersAll of the stories will center around Hell’s Kitchen, New York, home base for these heroes. Programming will merely begin in 2015, with all of this content rolling out over a period of several years.

“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” Marvel Entertainment president Alan Fine said in a prepared statement. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”

Recommended Videos

Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos also had positive things to say about the partnership in a separate statement. “Marvel’s movies, such as Iron Man and Marvel’s The Avengers, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” he said. “With House of Cards and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”

This is a big move for both companies, clearly. It strengthens the partnership that was struck in 2012 when Netflix became the exclusive subscription TV service for first-run live action and animated features from Walt Disney Studios, an umbrella that also covers Marvel Studios, Pixar, and Lucasfilm.

It’s important to temper any optimism over this news with some caution, however; Marvel Studios has had great success with its big screen efforts, but Marvel TV has yet to deliver on the promise of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., its ABC series. Hopefully, the looser content restrictions at Netflix will provide the series creators with the freedom they need to develop something truly special.

Adam Rosenberg
Former Gaming/Movies Editor
Previously, Adam worked in the games press as a freelance writer and critic for a range of outlets, including Digital Trends…
Fortnite is back on the App Store worldwide as Epic and Apple’s battle enters its final phase
Fortnite finally respawned on the App Store
Fortnite

After years of legal battles, platform bans, and public clashes over app store fees, Fortnite is officially returning to Apple’s App Store worldwide. Epic Games announced the move on Monday, calling it part of the “final battle” in its long-running fight against Apple’s App Store policies.

The return marks one of the biggest reversals in modern app store history. Fortnite was originally removed from Apple’s App Store in 2023 after Epic Games introduced its own payment system inside the app to bypass Apple’s commission fees, which can reach up to 30 percent. That decision triggered a years-long legal conflict that quickly became one of the most important antitrust battles in the tech industry.

Read more
PlayStation Plus is getting more expensive right before everyone comes back
PlayStation Plus costs more now if you don’t lock in for a year
PlayStation Plus

Sony is raising PlayStation Plus prices for new customers from May 20, adding another cost increase to an already pricey console generation. The change applies in select regions and affects the shorter subscription options.

According to PlayStation’s official post, one-month plans will start at $10.99, €9.99, or £7.99, while three-month plans will start at $27.99, €27.99, or £21.99. Current subscribers are mostly protected for now. Sony says the new pricing will not apply to existing members unless they change their plan or allow the subscription to lapse. However, subscribers in Turkey and India may also see the change.

Read more
Sony no longer wants “PlayStation exclusive” games to get a PC launch
Reports suggest future first-party single-player titles may skip Steam releases entirely.
Ghost of Yotei official screenshot

Over the last few years, Sony gradually got PC gamers used to the idea that most major PlayStation exclusives would eventually land on Steam. Games like God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us all made the jump sooner or later. But earlier this year, reports suggested that Sony was planning to stop releasing future single-player PlayStation titles on PC and keep them locked to PS5 instead. Now, it looks like those fears are finally becoming reality.

Sony reportedly wants PlayStation exclusives to stay exclusive again

Read more