Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Concord studio shuts down as Sony sunsets the troubled shooter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Two characters face off in Concord.
Firewalk Studios

Sony announced that it’s officially sunsetting Concord and closing its developer Firewalk Studios after a disastrous launch that led to it taking the game offline after just two weeks.

Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), which acquired Firewalk in 2023, revealed in an email sent out to employees on Tuesday that it’s shutting down the studio, along with mobile developer Neon Koi, in order to “strengthen SIE’s Studio Business.” That means two studios acquired by Sony over the past two years have been closed.

Recommended Videos

While CEO Hermen Hulst says that there was a lot to like about Concord, it did not meet expectations and could not compete in the PvP first-person shooter space, which is full of competitors like Overwatch 2. Hulst added that Sony will “take the lessons learned from Concord and apply it to future projects. “We have spent considerable time these past few months exploring all our options,” he wrote. “After much thought, we have determined the best path forward is to permanently sunset the game and close the studio. I want to thank all of Firewalk for their craftsmanship, creative spirit, and dedication.”

Firewalk Studios posted a statement on its X (formerly Twitter) account laying out its accomplishments, including a clarification that Concord started full production in 2022 since the studio spent years as a small startup. It called Concord a “great FPS experience to players — even if it landed much more narrowly than hoped against a heavily consolidated market.”

“We took some risks along the way – marrying aspects of card battlers and fighting games with first-person-shooters – and although some of these and other aspects of the IP didn’t land as we hoped, the idea of putting new things into the world is critical to pushing the medium forward.”

Firewalk is signing off one last time.

Firewalk began with the idea of bringing the joy of multiplayer to a larger audience. Along the way we assembled an incredible team who were able to:
– Navigate growing a new startup into a team during a global pandemic: Firewalk was…

— Firewalk (@FirewalkStudios) October 29, 2024

As for Neon Koi (previously known as Savage Game Studios), which was reportedly working on a “AAA mobile live-service action game,” but had no other announced projects, Hulst said that the company wants to work on games that “are in line with PlayStation Studios’ pedigree and have the potential to reach more players globally.” Hulst did reveal that Neon Koi was working on a mobile action game, but it won’t be moving forward with it.

Hulst added that SIE will work to find new placements within the company for impacted team members.

“I know none of this is easy news to hear, particularly with colleagues and friends departing SIE. Both decisions were given serious thought, and ultimately, we feel they are the right ones to strengthen the organization,” he wrote.

Concord had an infamously rocky launch on PlayStation 5 and PC in August. At its peak on launch day, it only had 697 concurrent players on PC, according to SteamDB. Mediocre reviews and low turnout led to Sony taking the game offline after just two weeks. The plan, according to Firewalk Studios game director Ryan Ellis, was to “explore options” for the game’s potential future. However, reports last month claimed that Ellis stepped down from the studio. Employees at the studio were also reportedly looking into pitches for new projects.

Carli Velocci
Carli is a technology, culture, and games editor and journalist. They were the Gaming Lead and Copy Chief at Windows Central…
Fortnite is back on the App Store worldwide as Epic and Apple’s battle enters its final phase
Fortnite finally respawned on the App Store
Fortnite

After years of legal battles, platform bans, and public clashes over app store fees, Fortnite is officially returning to Apple’s App Store worldwide. Epic Games announced the move on Monday, calling it part of the “final battle” in its long-running fight against Apple’s App Store policies.

The return marks one of the biggest reversals in modern app store history. Fortnite was originally removed from Apple’s App Store in 2023 after Epic Games introduced its own payment system inside the app to bypass Apple’s commission fees, which can reach up to 30 percent. That decision triggered a years-long legal conflict that quickly became one of the most important antitrust battles in the tech industry.

Read more
PlayStation Plus is getting more expensive right before everyone comes back
PlayStation Plus costs more now if you don’t lock in for a year
PlayStation Plus

Sony is raising PlayStation Plus prices for new customers from May 20, adding another cost increase to an already pricey console generation. The change applies in select regions and affects the shorter subscription options.

According to PlayStation’s official post, one-month plans will start at $10.99, €9.99, or £7.99, while three-month plans will start at $27.99, €27.99, or £21.99. Current subscribers are mostly protected for now. Sony says the new pricing will not apply to existing members unless they change their plan or allow the subscription to lapse. However, subscribers in Turkey and India may also see the change.

Read more
Sony no longer wants “PlayStation exclusive” games to get a PC launch
Reports suggest future first-party single-player titles may skip Steam releases entirely.
Ghost of Yotei official screenshot

Over the last few years, Sony gradually got PC gamers used to the idea that most major PlayStation exclusives would eventually land on Steam. Games like God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us all made the jump sooner or later. But earlier this year, reports suggested that Sony was planning to stop releasing future single-player PlayStation titles on PC and keep them locked to PS5 instead. Now, it looks like those fears are finally becoming reality.

Sony reportedly wants PlayStation exclusives to stay exclusive again

Read more