Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Alucard and Dracula clash on Xbox One thanks to backwards compatibility

Add as a preferred source on Google

Three brand new titles have been added to Microsoft’s slowly expanding list of Xbox One backwards compatible games. While they’re not fresh out of the water, so to speak, they’re still noteworthy.

First off is Remedy’s thriller-ish 3rd person shooter Alan Wake, where your enemies are afraid of the light, and then there’s the timeless classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Finally, there’s the ubiquitous Pac-Man, which comes in its original arcade form.

Recommended Videos

Alan Wake joins Microsoft’s ongoing promotional campaign for Remedy’s upcoming game Quantum Break, which will be released early next month. Every copy of the game will come with a full-game download for Alan wake for Xbox 360. Buyers will also have access to The Signal and The Writer, the game’s two add-on packs. That includes Microsoft’s Quantum Break console bundle, which will be going on sale starting tomorrow. Pre-orders also come with a full-game download of Alan Wake’s American Nightmare for Xbox 360, also backwards compatible with Xbox One, and that pre-order download is available now.

Since Microsoft revealed its initial list of backwards compatible titles back in November 2015 it has expanded from 104 titles to 141. Examples of games included in the first batch of backwards compatible games were Condemned: Criminal Origins, Fable II, and South Park: The Stick of Truth. Halo: Reach was one of the noteworthy titles mentioned to be on the way back then and has since been released. But other major titles like Halo Wars, Bioshock Infinite and Skate 3, among others, remain to be seen.

Microsoft is known for its slow pace of updating its list of backwards compatible games, and it’s also unclear how high the demand for these titles are. In the modern gaming industry, it’s common to simply re-launch titles in high-definition with crisper textures and, occasionally, some added functionality. But with that said, Microsoft was called out on some games that under-performed despite the high expectations of its consumers, including its very own Triple-A title Halo: Reach. It’s possible Microsoft has slowed down the pace to make sure the games run smoothly upon release.

Dan Isacsson
Being a gamer since the age of three, Dan took an interest in mobile gaming back in 2009. Since then he's been digging ever…
Fortnite is back on the App Store worldwide as Epic and Apple’s battle enters its final phase
Fortnite finally respawned on the App Store
Fortnite

After years of legal battles, platform bans, and public clashes over app store fees, Fortnite is officially returning to Apple’s App Store worldwide. Epic Games announced the move on Monday, calling it part of the “final battle” in its long-running fight against Apple’s App Store policies.

The return marks one of the biggest reversals in modern app store history. Fortnite was originally removed from Apple’s App Store in 2023 after Epic Games introduced its own payment system inside the app to bypass Apple’s commission fees, which can reach up to 30 percent. That decision triggered a years-long legal conflict that quickly became one of the most important antitrust battles in the tech industry.

Read more
PlayStation Plus is getting more expensive right before everyone comes back
PlayStation Plus costs more now if you don’t lock in for a year
PlayStation Plus

Sony is raising PlayStation Plus prices for new customers from May 20, adding another cost increase to an already pricey console generation. The change applies in select regions and affects the shorter subscription options.

According to PlayStation’s official post, one-month plans will start at $10.99, €9.99, or £7.99, while three-month plans will start at $27.99, €27.99, or £21.99. Current subscribers are mostly protected for now. Sony says the new pricing will not apply to existing members unless they change their plan or allow the subscription to lapse. However, subscribers in Turkey and India may also see the change.

Read more
Sony no longer wants “PlayStation exclusive” games to get a PC launch
Reports suggest future first-party single-player titles may skip Steam releases entirely.
Ghost of Yotei official screenshot

Over the last few years, Sony gradually got PC gamers used to the idea that most major PlayStation exclusives would eventually land on Steam. Games like God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us all made the jump sooner or later. But earlier this year, reports suggested that Sony was planning to stop releasing future single-player PlayStation titles on PC and keep them locked to PS5 instead. Now, it looks like those fears are finally becoming reality.

Sony reportedly wants PlayStation exclusives to stay exclusive again

Read more