Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Anthem is getting huge changes to save the game from irrelevancy

Add as a preferred source on Google
Anthem update version 1.1.0 patch notes Sunken Cell weapon loadout contract mission fort tarsis
Image used with permission by copyright holder

To say BioWare’s Anthem has been disappointing would be an insult to every other disappointing game we’ve played in 2019. Anthem was a colossal failure for the studio, with mediocre reviews that questioned whether the studio could ever achieve its former glory. But BioWare is willing to try: The studio reportedly plans drastic changes to the game in an effort to save it from becoming irrelevant.

According to Kotaku, several of Anthem‘s biggest elements are going to be completely overhauled, either in one large update or in a series of smaller updates. These include the structure of missions, as well as the world itself and the loot. The game has been criticized for the relatively arbitrary loot scoring system, with weapons not varying enough in power compared to those found earlier in the game.

Recommended Videos

Other changes could include breaking the one large map into several smaller ones and removing the need to go to the hub area Fort Tarsis between missions. As opposed to in games like The Division 2 that show you your new gear right after finding it, Anthem makes you return to Fort Tarsis, breaking up the action in an unnecessary way that all but nullifies any reason to have an open world at all.

Those familiar with the project said it could even be released as an entirely new game, which would be a different move than other overhauled projects have taken — No Man’s Sky, for instance, bears little resemblance to the 2016 launch game, and all updates have been free to players.

Conviction – An Anthem Trailer From Neill Blomkamp

BioWare’s next major project is likely still Dragon Age 4. Had it not been for the disappointing Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda, expectations for the game would have likely been through the roof. Predecessor Dragon Age: Inquisition is one of the most acclaimed role-playing games of the generation, with the classic BioWare blend of world-building, charming dialogue, and engaging gameplay.

One issue that has reportedly plagued BioWare more recently is the use of Frostbite, an engine Electronic Arts has used in almost all of its recent projects, but is problematic with an open-world RPG. The engine began its use for Battlefield but has since been the backbone behind games like Mass Effect: Andromeda and FIFA 20.

Gabe Gurwin
Gabe Gurwin has been playing games since 1997, beginning with the N64 and the Super Nintendo. He began his journalism career…
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more
Ubisoft wants a comeback with Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and one AI experiment that has players worried
Ubisoft’s first playable gen-AI project is coming, and gamers are already skeptical
Ubisoft Vantage Studios Games

Ubisoft is trying to rebuild momentum. It is banking on its biggest franchises for this comeback, as revealed in its latest earnings report. But the French publisher/studio isn't just relying on the familiar names and is even bringing generative AI as the next experience.

According to Ubisoft’s FY2025-26 earnings report, the company expects a much stronger content pipeline across FY2027-28 and FY2028-29, with releases tied to major brands including Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Ghost Recon.

Read more
Sony’s Days of Play 2026 sale may skip the PS5 at the worst possible time
PS4 holdouts hoping for a PS5 discount may be out of luck
Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

It was recently confirmed that the next Call of Duty game will not launch on the PS4, putting more pressure on longtime holdouts to finally upgrade. Sony’s Days of Play 2026 sale would have been the perfect opportunity to buy a PS5 at a discount, especially after the recent console price hike. However, according to a new Dealabs report from reliable tipster billbil-kun, that may not be happening this year.

What discounts are expected during Days of Play 2026?

Read more