Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

E3 2021 will be a three-day digital event with remote playable game demos

Add as a preferred source on Google

The first details surrounding E3 2021 are out now, and they signal a fully digital event. The report comes from Video Games Chronicle, which obtained pitch documents for the show that were sent to video game publishers.

According to the report, E3 will take place from June 15 to June 17 as originally planned, with a preview night on June 14. The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) plans to hold several two-hour presentations from its partners, as well as additional streams from developers and influencers.

Recommended Videos

Game demos are a major part of the ESA’s plan. The proposal says that demos would be released on consumer platforms alongside the event. As part of the plan, media would gain access to remote demos as the ESA prepares to host thousands of one-on-one meetings during the three-day event.

Under the current proposal, daily broadcasts would run from 7 a.m. PT to 7 p.m. PT. The streams would start with a preshow and then feature a two-hour “exclusive press conference by a console platform holder,” with third-party programming filling out the rest of a day.

VGC says that multiple publishers have stated that they are not preparing for a physical event this year. In a statement sent to Digital Trends, the ESA reaffirmed that the event would be a reimagined this year, but didn’t commit to an all-digital show.

“We can confirm that we are transforming the E3 experience for 2021 and will soon share exact details on how we’re bringing the global video game community together,” says the ESA. “We are having great conversations with publishers, developers, and companies across the board, and we look forward to sharing details about their involvement soon.”

Last year’s E3 was canceled outright amid tgrowing concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic. The ESA did not hold a digital replacement. Instead, events like Geoff Keighley’s Summer Games Fest filled the gaps with smaller, more spread-out streams.

Giovanni Colantonio
As a veteran of the industry who first began writing about games professionally as a teenager, Giovanni brings a wealth of…
James Bond fans are bailing on 007 First Light after IO Interactive pulls a classic villain move
James Bond fans are canceling pre-orders faster than Q can build a gadget.
James Bond smirks in 007: First Light.

The James Bond gaming comeback just hit a speed bump. Six days before the May 27th release of 007 First Light, a Denuvo (a controversial anti-tamper software) DRM disclaimer quietly appeared on its Steam listing. Many fans who had pre-ordered the game found this reason enough to cancel.

This isn't an isolated incident. Publishers have made a habit of adding Denuvo close to launch. Crimson Desert did the same thing in March, giving players almost no warning, which led to significant backlash. IO Interactive is even worse, giving buyers only a six-day notice.

Read more
GeForce Now just got Forza Horizon 6 and Disco Elysium’s weird new cousin
Nvidia just added the hottest racing game and Disco Elysium’s spiritual successor to GeForce Now
Forza

GeForce Now is having a pretty good week if you have a very diverse palette for games. From next-gen visuals in racing to a narrative-driven RPG, Nvidia has a great set of games for you to try out. The company's latest cloud gaming update brings Forza Horizon 6 alongside Zero Parades: For Dead Spies, the new RPG from ZA/UM, the studio behind the critically acclaimed Disco Elysium.

Forza Horizon 6 hits GeForce Now

Read more
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more