Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Anthem’s planned overhaul is officially canceled, BioWare confirms

Add as a preferred source on Google

Anthem will not receive an overhaul, as BioWare has shut down development on Anthem Next. The studio says that the live service game will remain online in its current state for now, though it won’t receive new improvements.

Last year, BioWare announced its intention to overhaul the game with a 2.0 update. In recent weeks, reports surfaced that EA planned to assess the current state of the game and make a call on whether or not it would continue forward. BioWare formally announced that development on the project has ended through a blog post.

Recommended Videos

“In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today,” BioWare said.

BioWare cites the coronavirus pandemic as part of the reason why the project is ending. “Working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams.”

The studio says it’s now focusing its efforts on other BioWare projects such as the new Dragon Age and Mass Effect titles, as well as improvements to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Anthem was considered a commercial and critical flop when it launched in 2019. The live service game failed to meet EA’s 6 million-copy target within a month of its launch, prompting the company to retool BioWare’s approach to the game.

Giovanni Colantonio
As a veteran of the industry who first began writing about games professionally as a teenager, Giovanni brings a wealth of…
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more
Ubisoft wants a comeback with Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and one AI experiment that has players worried
Ubisoft’s first playable gen-AI project is coming, and gamers are already skeptical
Ubisoft Vantage Studios Games

Ubisoft is trying to rebuild momentum. It is banking on its biggest franchises for this comeback, as revealed in its latest earnings report. But the French publisher/studio isn't just relying on the familiar names and is even bringing generative AI as the next experience.

According to Ubisoft’s FY2025-26 earnings report, the company expects a much stronger content pipeline across FY2027-28 and FY2028-29, with releases tied to major brands including Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Ghost Recon.

Read more
Sony’s Days of Play 2026 sale may skip the PS5 at the worst possible time
PS4 holdouts hoping for a PS5 discount may be out of luck
Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

It was recently confirmed that the next Call of Duty game will not launch on the PS4, putting more pressure on longtime holdouts to finally upgrade. Sony’s Days of Play 2026 sale would have been the perfect opportunity to buy a PS5 at a discount, especially after the recent console price hike. However, according to a new Dealabs report from reliable tipster billbil-kun, that may not be happening this year.

What discounts are expected during Days of Play 2026?

Read more