Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Ubisoft confirms that Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown team is moving on to new games

Add as a preferred source on Google
Sargon reaches out to grab a shard in Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown.
Ubisoft

Ubisoft has confirmed that most of the Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown team has been moved to other projects following a report claiming it had been disbanded.

A video posted by video game outlet Origami on Monday said that Ubisoft was disappointed in sales of the Prince of Persia Metroidvania, and had moved the team at Ubisoft Montpellier to other projects. The team had reportedly tried to pitch a sequel or a more sizeable expansion, but Ubisoft wanted to focus on projects with better sales potential. (The basics were summarized and translated in this ResetEra thread).

Recommended Videos

In a statement to Digital Trends, The Lost Crown senior producer Abdelhak Elguess confirmed some of the details, including that “most” of the team had been moved onto other projects “that will benefit from their expertise,” and that there wouldn’t be any more content updates, but that Ubisoft isn’t done with Prince of Persia just yet.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is now at the end of its post-launch road map with three free content updates and one DLC that released in September. We are now focusing on making the game available to more players: it was recently launched on Steam, and will be available on Mac by this winter. Most of the team members who worked on Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown have shifted to other projects that will benefit from their expertise,” Elguess said.

While Ubisoft couldn’t confirm what projects the producer alluded to, Insider Gaming claims workers were shifted to Beyond Good and Evil 2, a mainline Ghost Recon, and a Rayman remake.

Prince of Persia The Lost Crown - Reveal Gameplay Trailer

It’s a tumultuous time for the studio. Ubisoft announced it was delaying Assassin’s Creed Shadows from November to February 14, 2025, to give the developers more time to “polish and refine the experience.” This was a sizeable last-minute delay, and in a statement to investors, the company also said that due to the weaker-than-expected sales of Star Wars Outlaws, it had to make some changes to its business model. It announced it was removing the season pass and having games launch on Steam on the day of their release. CEO Yves Guillemot also announced that Ubisoft will be launching a internal review to align the company based on player feedback.

Since then, Star Wars Outlaws has gotten a new road map to focus on bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements. It also dropped the price of the Assassin’s Creed Shadows Collector’s Edition by $50 to make up for the canceled season pass.

Carli Velocci
Carli is a technology, culture, and games editor and journalist. They were the Gaming Lead and Copy Chief at Windows Central…
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more
Ubisoft wants a comeback with Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and one AI experiment that has players worried
Ubisoft’s first playable gen-AI project is coming, and gamers are already skeptical
Ubisoft Vantage Studios Games

Ubisoft is trying to rebuild momentum. It is banking on its biggest franchises for this comeback, as revealed in its latest earnings report. But the French publisher/studio isn't just relying on the familiar names and is even bringing generative AI as the next experience.

According to Ubisoft’s FY2025-26 earnings report, the company expects a much stronger content pipeline across FY2027-28 and FY2028-29, with releases tied to major brands including Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Ghost Recon.

Read more
Sony’s Days of Play 2026 sale may skip the PS5 at the worst possible time
PS4 holdouts hoping for a PS5 discount may be out of luck
Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

It was recently confirmed that the next Call of Duty game will not launch on the PS4, putting more pressure on longtime holdouts to finally upgrade. Sony’s Days of Play 2026 sale would have been the perfect opportunity to buy a PS5 at a discount, especially after the recent console price hike. However, according to a new Dealabs report from reliable tipster billbil-kun, that may not be happening this year.

What discounts are expected during Days of Play 2026?

Read more