Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Ubisoft says current owners will still be able to access Assassin’s Creed Liberation

Add as a preferred source on Google

In a blow to game preservation, Ubisoft has delisted Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD from the Steam store. Though the company originally noted that players who owned the game would lose access to it on September 1, it has clarified that it won’t be revoking access after all.

The news comes after Ubisoft recently shut down online servers for 15 games such as Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, Far Cry 3, and Assassin’s Creed 2, rendering their multiplayer modes unplayable. Earlier in 2022, Ubisoft shut down online services for over 90 games.

Recommended Videos

A notice on the game’s Steam page reads “At the request of the publisher, Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD is no longer available for sale on Steam.”

Originally, another note on Steam implied that users would lose access to the game altogether come September. In a statement issued to IGN, Ubisoft says players will still be able to access delisted games as long as they own them.

“Only DLCs and online features will be affected by the upcoming decommissioning. Current owners of those games will still be able to access, play or redownload them,” reads an excerpt from the statement.

It’s common for games to no longer be available to buy from digital storefronts, but removing them from a player’s library after purchasing is rare. This has led to criticism from the community, especially since Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD was featured in a recent Steam sale. As pointed out by Eurogamer, other titles including Silent Hunter 5, Space Junkies, and the DLC for Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands have the same Steam notice.

In a statement to Eurogamer about Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD’s removal, Ubisoft said “We don’t take the decision to retire services for older Ubisoft games lightly, and our teams are currently assessing all available options for players who will be impacted when these games’ online services are decommissioned on September 1, 2022.”

The company also said it will work with its partners to update listings on digital storefronts to ensure “players will be fully informed” about game removals.

Digital Trends has reached out to Ubisoft for comment and will update this article when it responds.

Joseph Yaden
Former Digital Trends Contributor
Joseph Yaden is a freelance journalist who covers Nintendo, shooters, and horror games. He mostly covers game guides for…
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more
Ubisoft wants a comeback with Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and one AI experiment that has players worried
Ubisoft’s first playable gen-AI project is coming, and gamers are already skeptical
Ubisoft Vantage Studios Games

Ubisoft is trying to rebuild momentum. It is banking on its biggest franchises for this comeback, as revealed in its latest earnings report. But the French publisher/studio isn't just relying on the familiar names and is even bringing generative AI as the next experience.

According to Ubisoft’s FY2025-26 earnings report, the company expects a much stronger content pipeline across FY2027-28 and FY2028-29, with releases tied to major brands including Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Ghost Recon.

Read more
Sony’s Days of Play 2026 sale may skip the PS5 at the worst possible time
PS4 holdouts hoping for a PS5 discount may be out of luck
Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

It was recently confirmed that the next Call of Duty game will not launch on the PS4, putting more pressure on longtime holdouts to finally upgrade. Sony’s Days of Play 2026 sale would have been the perfect opportunity to buy a PS5 at a discount, especially after the recent console price hike. However, according to a new Dealabs report from reliable tipster billbil-kun, that may not be happening this year.

What discounts are expected during Days of Play 2026?

Read more