Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

Microsoft says Halo Infinite is still a ‘work-in-progress’

Add as a preferred source on Google
 

Microsoft kicked off its Xbox Series X Games Showcase on Thursday with the first look at Halo Infinite campaign gameplay. And after it was widely panned by viewers, Microsoft responded with a plea for patience.

Recommended Videos

“Listen, we’re in the middle of a global pandemic,” Xbox marketing manager Aaron Greenberg said in an interview with Inside Gaming on Thursday. “It’s July, we’re far from [launch in] holiday, you’re seeing a work-in-progress game.”

Greenberg was responding to a growing chorus of people who were disappointed by Halo Infinite‘s graphics. During the livestream, many viewers said the game looked more like an Xbox One title rather than a game slated for a next-generation console. Since then, Reddit, Twitter, and other online forums have been awash with fears that Halo Infinite may not live up to the hype.

Greenberg didn’t necessarily say that the game looked like a true next-generation title in his interview. He did, however, try to partially blame the stream on how the game looked.

“It’s very hard to show the full power and graphical fidelity of what Xbox Series X will be able to deliver for you over a stream,” he said. Greenberg told viewers to visit Halo’s YouTube channel where the gameplay can be viewed in 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. He noted that the livestream was delivered in 1080p.

Still, questions have been surfacing for weeks about whether Xbox Series X games will match PlayStation 5 alternatives. Microsoft has said that all Xbox Game Studios titles will be developed for both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X, prompting some to fear that the games may have less fidelity because they’re being built for older hardware.

Microsoft has said on several occasions that won’t happen and all of its games will be optimized for next-generation hardware. Halo Infinite, however, didn’t give those fearful players confidence.

Interestingly, Microsoft also revealed on Thursday that the Halo Infinite gameplay footage wasn’t actually running on an Xbox Series X. Instead, it was streaming over a PC with specs “representative” of the Xbox Series X experience. Whether that may have also played a role in the gameplay footage is unknown.

Whatever the case, Greenberg is urging patience and said by the time Halo Infinite launches this holiday season, things will turn out well.

“Between now and Holiday,” he said, “it’s just going to get better and better.”

Don Reisinger
Former Digital Trends Contributor
Don Reisinger is a freelance technology, video game, and entertainment journalist. He has been writing about the world of…
James Bond fans are bailing on 007 First Light after IO Interactive pulls a classic villain move
James Bond fans are canceling pre-orders faster than Q can build a gadget.
James Bond smirks in 007: First Light.

The James Bond gaming comeback just hit a speed bump. Six days before the May 27th release of 007 First Light, a Denuvo (a controversial anti-tamper software) DRM disclaimer quietly appeared on its Steam listing. Many fans who had pre-ordered the game found this reason enough to cancel.

This isn't an isolated incident. Publishers have made a habit of adding Denuvo close to launch. Crimson Desert did the same thing in March, giving players almost no warning, which led to significant backlash. IO Interactive is even worse, giving buyers only a six-day notice.

Read more
GeForce Now just got Forza Horizon 6 and Disco Elysium’s weird new cousin
Nvidia just added the hottest racing game and Disco Elysium’s spiritual successor to GeForce Now
Forza

GeForce Now is having a pretty good week if you have a very diverse palette for games. From next-gen visuals in racing to a narrative-driven RPG, Nvidia has a great set of games for you to try out. The company's latest cloud gaming update brings Forza Horizon 6 alongside Zero Parades: For Dead Spies, the new RPG from ZA/UM, the studio behind the critically acclaimed Disco Elysium.

Forza Horizon 6 hits GeForce Now

Read more
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more