Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

A new Pokémon Snap game is coming to the Nintendo Switch

Add as a preferred source on Google
 

It has been more than 20 years since Pokémon Snap launched on the Nintendo 64, but a sequel, complete with new Pokémon and places to explore, will be coming to the Nintendo Switch.

Recommended Videos

The Pokémon Company said at its Pokémon Presents broadcast on Wednesday that New Pokémon Snap will be available exclusively on the Nintendo Switch.

The company didn’t say when the game would be available on the Switch, but said that the title, officially called New Pokémon Snap, would allow players to “discover behaviors and expressions you’ve never seen before when you encounter and research lively wild Pokémon.”

When the original Pokémon Snap launched on the Nintendo 64 in 1999, it delivered a decidedly different take on the Pokémon franchise. Instead of engaging in battles, players were instead armed with cameras and needed to seek out Pokémon living in their native environments.

The New Pokémon Snap promises similar gameplay, but the company said the new title will allow players to travel to “unknown islands with beautiful scenery like lush jungles and sandy beaches.” It also promised “previously unseen Pokémon behaviors” and the ability to research Pokémon to see how they live when they’re not in battle.

There’s still plenty up in the air about the New Pokémon Snap. In addition to not revealing when the game will launch, The Pokémon Company also balked at saying how many players the game will support. We also have no idea whether captured images can be shared with others, which Pokémon will be featured in the game, and how many total Pokémon players can expect.

We do know, however, that Bandai Namco will be responsible for developing it.

Pokémon Snap was one of the most popular game releases in 1999, with 1.5 million copies sold in North America, alone. The game earned generally solid reviews and has long been remembered among Pokémon fans as one of the better series offshoots.

Don Reisinger
Former Digital Trends Contributor
Don Reisinger is a freelance technology, video game, and entertainment journalist. He has been writing about the world of…
James Bond fans are bailing on 007 First Light after IO Interactive pulls a classic villain move
James Bond fans are canceling pre-orders faster than Q can build a gadget.
James Bond smirks in 007: First Light.

The James Bond gaming comeback just hit a speed bump. Six days before the May 27th release of 007 First Light, a Denuvo (a controversial anti-tamper software) DRM disclaimer quietly appeared on its Steam listing. Many fans who had pre-ordered the game found this reason enough to cancel.

This isn't an isolated incident. Publishers have made a habit of adding Denuvo close to launch. Crimson Desert did the same thing in March, giving players almost no warning, which led to significant backlash. IO Interactive is even worse, giving buyers only a six-day notice.

Read more
GeForce Now just got Forza Horizon 6 and Disco Elysium’s weird new cousin
Nvidia just added the hottest racing game and Disco Elysium’s spiritual successor to GeForce Now
Forza

GeForce Now is having a pretty good week if you have a very diverse palette for games. From next-gen visuals in racing to a narrative-driven RPG, Nvidia has a great set of games for you to try out. The company's latest cloud gaming update brings Forza Horizon 6 alongside Zero Parades: For Dead Spies, the new RPG from ZA/UM, the studio behind the critically acclaimed Disco Elysium.

Forza Horizon 6 hits GeForce Now

Read more
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more