Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. News

The Last of Us Part 2 leakers identified — they’re not from Sony or Naughty Dog

Add as a preferred source on Google
 

The people behind the massive The Last of Us Part 2 leak have been identified, and contrary to rumors, they are not affiliated with developer Naughty Dog or parent company Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Recommended Videos

Last week, footage of The Last of Us Part 2 surfaced online, and while Sony is trying its best to take down all the videos, spoilers continue to spread across social media. The leaks include a level list and cutscenes from what appeared to be an internal build of the game, including important plot points and the game’s ending.

Early speculation suggested that the person behind the leak was a disgruntled Naughty Dog employee, in relation to the reported crunch culture at the studio. However, it appears that the rumors were not true.

Sony has identified the leakers, who have been determined to not be connected to either Naughty Dog or Sony Interactive Entertainment, a representative for Sony told Polygon.

“SIE has identified the primary individuals responsible for the unauthorized release of TLOU2 assets. They are not affiliated with Naughty Dog or SIE. We are unable to comment further because the information is subject to an on-going investigation,” the representative said in a statement.

“We’re looking forward to when The Last of Us Part II will be in your hands and can’t wait for you to enjoy the full experience on June 19.”

While Sony has tracked down the people behind the leaks, we do not yet know what will happen to them. However, the damage may have already been done, as going online is like entering a minefield for gamers trying to avoid The Last of Us Part 2 spoilers.

How to avoid The Last of Us Part 2 leaks

The Last of Us Part 2, which was supposed to roll out on May 29, was delayed to June 19. While the extra three weeks of waiting might not seem like much, it means that players trying to avoid spoilers will need to keep dodging them for almost seven more weeks.

To avoid The Last of Us Part 2 spoilers, suggested actions include using Twitter’s built-in word-muting functions, removing YouTube’s suggested videos, using an extension to filter posts on Facebook, and blocking certain words on Reddit.

Aaron Mamiit
Aaron received an NES and a copy of Super Mario Bros. for Christmas when he was four years old, and he has been fascinated…
James Bond fans are bailing on 007 First Light after IO Interactive pulls a classic villain move
James Bond fans are canceling pre-orders faster than Q can build a gadget.
James Bond smirks in 007: First Light.

The James Bond gaming comeback just hit a speed bump. Six days before the May 27th release of 007 First Light, a Denuvo (a controversial anti-tamper software) DRM disclaimer quietly appeared on its Steam listing. Many fans who had pre-ordered the game found this reason enough to cancel.

This isn't an isolated incident. Publishers have made a habit of adding Denuvo close to launch. Crimson Desert did the same thing in March, giving players almost no warning, which led to significant backlash. IO Interactive is even worse, giving buyers only a six-day notice.

Read more
GeForce Now just got Forza Horizon 6 and Disco Elysium’s weird new cousin
Nvidia just added the hottest racing game and Disco Elysium’s spiritual successor to GeForce Now
Forza

GeForce Now is having a pretty good week if you have a very diverse palette for games. From next-gen visuals in racing to a narrative-driven RPG, Nvidia has a great set of games for you to try out. The company's latest cloud gaming update brings Forza Horizon 6 alongside Zero Parades: For Dead Spies, the new RPG from ZA/UM, the studio behind the critically acclaimed Disco Elysium.

Forza Horizon 6 hits GeForce Now

Read more
Destiny 2 is finally riding into the sunset after nearly 12 years
Bungie says goodbye to Destiny 2 live-service content after The Final Shape
Characters shooting in Destiny 2.

Destiny 2’s live-service journey is coming to an end, closing out one of the longest-running and most influential eras in modern online gaming. In a message to players, Bungie confirmed that it will release the final live-service content update for Destiny 2 on June 9, 2026. The studio described the decision as the studio moves to a "new beginning", with the focus now shifting to incubating new games.

Is Destiny 2 finally dying?

Read more